Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Note to Self

My students probably struggled with the last few topics covered in the semester as my coverage on those topics was not as thorough as my coverage on the rest of the topics covered in the semester.

On a related note, I occasionally ponder the possibility of covering less, but in greater detail.

On a different note, I think it's strange how many students ask for review sessions, but when I bring up the idea of extending class time or a separate hour (temporarily ignoring the issue of increasing credit) to my peers, there is the idea that students wouldn't agree to it. The problem with office hours is that students either have other classes schedule during that time or are afraid to come. Office hours by appointment is fine, as long as it isn't abused.

Maybe there should be a game. Played by a professor. Every time the professor says something that might be on the exam, students should say some key phrase like "That's magic!" Perhaps every once in a while, and especially the first week, this should be aided with a pause or a hand signal or a sign (much like an "Applause" sign).

No comments:

Post a Comment